Light, thick and fluffy with a hint of sweetness – these are the perfect American pancakes to load up with your fav toppings.
American pancakes with greek yoghurt and a berry coulis
One of the best things about these pancakes is just how easy they are to make. Oh, and you probably already have the ingredients in your home. Unlike other recipes, there’s no faffing around with egg whites and electric whisks. You can whip up the batter in less than 10 mins and start flipping!
You can top these pancakes with whatever takes your fancy, sweet or savoury. On this occasion we added greek yoghurt and a homemade, zingy berry coulis. Scroll down to the bottom of this post for the coulis recipe. Other pancake toppings we love are nutella and banana and streaky bacon and maple syrup – yum!
Tips for the perfect American pancakes
Once you have made the batter, leave it to rest for 5 minutes before cooking. This will allow time for the baking powder to react and help create that ultra fluffy pancake texture.
If adding fresh fruit to your pancake batter, for example blueberries, coat the fruit in a little flour before incorporating into the batter. This will prevent the blueberries from sinking and leaking. If adding chocolate chips, we prefer to pour the batter into the pan and immediately sprinkle them on top.
When you add the batter to the pan, start from the centre and gently pour in a circular movement to help it spread into an even circle. Don’t rush your pancakes! Let that first side become nice and golden brown before flipping. You will know when they’re ready to flip because bubbles start to form and pop on the top.
This recipe makes 10 pancakes. If you don’t eat them all in one sitting, you can freeze them individually before combining in an airtight bag. Simply reheat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds until warm.
American pancake recipe
- 225 grams plain flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 300 ml whole or semi-skimmed milk
- 1 free range egg
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk and egg together.
- Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the butter, vanilla, and milk mixture into the well.
- Whisk the ingredients together until just combined. The batter will be slightly thick and lumpy, but well incorporated. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan on a medium heat.
- Pour or scoop enough batter into the pan for one pancake.
- Cook on each side for approx 3-6 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Load up with your chosen toppings and dig in!
Berry coulis recipe
- 200 grams mixed frozen berries
- 25 ml water
- 40 grams caster sugar
- Pour the berries, water and sugar into a medium sized saucepan.
- On a low-medium heat, stir regularly until the sugar dissolves and the berries break down.
- If you want your coulis slightly thicker, mix a small amount of cornflour with some water and add to the pan. Stir constantly and remove from heat once you reach the desired consistency.
- Allow to cool and then pour over your pancakes! If you have leftovers, the coulis can be frozen for use at a later time.
Need more breakfast and brunch inspiration? Check out more of our recipes here.