A fuss free asparagus, mascarpone and lemon tart prepared in just 10 minutes! Serve as an appetiser, lunch, or light meal with a fresh green salad.
This is a super simple recipe, perfect to cook if you’ve got friends coming over for a brunch or casual lunch. Topped with elegant stems of fresh asparagus, this tart always gets a few oohs and ahhs at the table – it’s a definite crowd pleaser.
What you’ll need to make an asparagus mascarpone and lemon tart
You’ll be pleased to read this tart can be made with just six ingredients, plus salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Puff pastry (we buy the ready-made pastry!)
- Lemon zest
- Egg yolks
How to make an asparagus mascarpone and lemon tart
This tart begins with a sheet of ready-made, uncooked puff pastry. Next, the pastry is smothered with a mixture of mascarpone, grated parmesan, lemon and egg yolks. We like to leave an inch of uncovered pastry around the edge to frame the tart.
Next, the tart is topped with fresh asparagus before baking in the oven until golden brown. If your asparagus is quite thick, simply half each stem lengthways. This will ensure the asparagus cooks evenly. You can brush the puff pastry border with egg but we find it browns nicely in the oven without it.
Don’t worry if you can’t get hold of asparagus, lots of other veggies will work just as well. However, try to opt for vegetables that cook quickly. If not, you can slice them thinly, or par cook them first.
You could try:
- Tenderstem broccoli
- Sliced onions
- Mushrooms (sautéed first)
- Par cooked parsnips, beetroot or butternut squash
Asparagus mascarpone and lemon tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 200 grams mascarpone
- 40 grams parmesan grated
- 2 egg yolks
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- In a bowl, mix together the mascarpone, parmesan, egg yolks, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Spread the mixture on a sheet of puff pastry, leaving a 1 inch border uncovered.
- Trim the asparagus and add to the top of the tart. If the asparagus is thick, cut it in half lengthways.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle extra parmesan and lemon zest on top before serving (optional). Enjoy hot or cold.