On the hunt for the ultimate katsu curry sauce recipe? Congratulations, you’ve found it! This is a warming Japanese-inspired curry sauce, full of flavour and easy to rustle up at home.
What you’ll need to make the sauce
You’ll be pleased to read you don’t need any whacky ingredients to make this sauce. With a few store cupboard staples and fresh veggies, you’ve got yourself an epic curry sauce.
- Fresh ginger
- Curry powder
- Plain flour
- Chicken or veg stock
- Soy sauce
- Lime (optional)
How to make katsu curry sauce
This is a simple sauce to put together. Start by finely dicing the onion, carrots, ginger and garlic. We use our trusty KitchenAid food processor to save time, but you can easily do it by hand.
After you’ve cooked the veggies, stir in the curry powder and flour. Next add the stock. We recommend adding this gradually to avoid any lumps.
Add the soy sauce and honey, bring it up to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth, add a squeeze of lime et voila! Your katsu curry sauce is good to go.
What to serve with katsu curry sauce
9 times out of 10 if we’re making this sauce, then we’re having pork katsu curry. Crispy Japanese-style breaded pork with lashings of comforting homemade curry sauce – delicious! There is something so satisfying about serving up a warming curry sauce alongside strips of crunchy, juicy pork.
Check out our pork katsu recipe here. If you prefer, you can also switch out the pork loin for chicken breast.
Can you freeze the sauce?
Absolutely! If you have any leftovers, this sauce freezes really well. We often make double the amount just so we have a stash in the freezer.
Katsu Curry Sauce
- Wok or saucepan
- Hand blender
- 1 onion finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cm fresh ginger finely diced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 600 ml chicken or veg stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- squeeze of lime optional
- Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a saucepan or wok over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 3 minutes. Add the ginger and fry for 1 minute. Add the carrots and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and flour. Cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the stock.
- Add the soy sauce and honey. Mix well.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blitz the sauce until smooth. Finish with a squeeze of lime (optional). Serve with crispy breaded pork or chicken and white rice.