This rose and pistachio traybake is light and fragrant, easy to make and looks the part too.
Rose and pistachio traybake
This is easily one of our favourite traybake recipes. The combination of rose and pistachio is unusual but delicious. The sponge is delicately infused with just the right amount of rose water and topped with buttercream icing, crushed pistachios and rose petals.
It’s perfect for all sorts of occasions and is really easy to put together. There’s no fancy techniques involved, just a simple sponge and a basic buttercream icing. You can have this traybake in the oven in just 15 minutes.
Rose water and petals
Rose water is a floral water made by distilling or simmering rose petals. It is commonplace in Middle Eastern, Persian, and Indian cooking. Here in the UK you can buy rose water and petals at most large supermarkets and Middle Eastern food stores. We buy Steenbergs organic rose water online from Amazon and dried pink rose petals from Waitrose.
If you’re new to rose water, it has a very distinct, strong flavour and a little goes a long way! In this recipe four teaspoons of rose water is the perfect amount to get a subtle flavour of rose running through the sponge.
This rose and pistachio traybake has a layer of a classic buttercream icing. Deliciously smooth and creamy, this buttercream is perfect for fairy cakes, cupcakes and Victoria sponges.
Making the icing couldn’t be easier. Simply beat together the butter adding in the icing sugar gradually until fully incorporated. We like to use room temperature butter because it is much easier to incorporate the sugar when it is soft. Sometimes we add a dash of vanilla extract for a subtle vanilla flavour.
If you find that the buttercream is too stiff, adding half a tablespoon of milk can help to loosen it up.
Need more baking inspiration? Check out more of our favourite sweet treat recipes here.
Rose and pistachio traybake
- 9×9" square cake tin
For the sponge
- 300 grams unsalted butter
- 300 grams sugar
- 300 grams self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp rose water
For the icing
- 250 grams unsalted butter room temperature
- 250 grams icing sugar
- rose petals
- pistachios crushed
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a 9×9" cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix until well combined.
- Pour in the rose water and mix again.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder and gently fold in.
- Pour cake mixture into the cake tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 30-40 minutes. Check if it's fully baked by using a skewer or sharp knife and inserting it into the centre of the cake. It should come out clean. Leave to cool.
- To make the icing, beat together the butter adding in the icing sugar gradually until fully incorporated and light and fluffy.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with crushed pistachios and rose petals. Cut into 16 squares and enjoy!