Spicy-sweet, sticky bites of chicken – what’s not to love? These Korean-inspired chicken drumsticks are marinated in a gochujang sauce, baked and then grilled until charred and crispy.
Ready in just 30 minutes, our spicy Korean chicken drumsticks are perfect to spice up your midweek meal plan. This throw in the oven recipe is simple and easily doubled or tripled for a larger crowd. These would go down really well at a buffet.
What you’ll need to make the marinade
For the Korean-inspired marinade, you will need the following ingredients:
- Gochujang (This is a Korean fermented chilli paste, we bought ours on Amazon but you can find it in Asian food shops and most big supermarkets)
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Ground ginger
Before coating the chicken with the marinade, we like to score each drumstick with three cuts, taking care not cut down to the bone. This allows all those flavours to permeate right through the chicken.
If you have a little more time on your hands and really want to intensify the flavour, we recommend marinating the drumsticks in the fridge overnight before cooking.
What to serve with chicken drumsticks
These drumsticks can be eaten on their own, hot, or even cold if you’re heading out on a picnic. If we’re having them for lunch or dinner, we like to serve them alongside a simple homemade coleslaw or our tasty spring onion oil noodles. Try them with French fries for a tasty Friday night dinner treat.
Spicy Korean Chicken Drumsticks
- 600 grams chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp gochujang (Korean fermented chilli paste)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- Whisk together the soy sauce, sriracha, ketchup, gochujang, brown sugar, ginger and garlic in a bowl.
- Score the chicken with 2 or 3 cuts in each drumstick but take care not cut down to the bone. Add to the marinade and mix well until the chicken is fully coated.
- Turn on the oven to 180℃/gas mark 4 and let the drumsticks marinate while the oven preheats. You can also leave the chicken to marinate overnight.
- On a lined baking tray, add drumsticks and bake for 15 minutes (do not discard the remaining marinade).
- Brush the chicken with the remaining marinade and grill at 220℃/gas mark 7 for 10 minutes or until fully cooked, charred and crispy.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and spring onion (optional) and enjoy!